Donald Trump had barely finished his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore last month when he hopped on Twitter to brag about how much he had been “winning” with the dictator on efforts to denuclearize. There wasn’t even a clear plan or firm framework in place between the two leaders, and already Trump was taking credit for accomplishing the denuclearization effort. Trump has bragged about his talks with Kim constantly over the last few weeks, even though it’s been reported that North Korea is still producing fuel for nuclear weapons at secret sites. If that weren’t enough to shame Trump, this latest development will be even more embarrassing for him.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was spending time in North Korea over the last few days for discussions on denuclearization, and he may have just blown it. Pompeo left North Korea and assured everyone that the talks had been productive (even though he didn’t even meet with Kim). Pompeo said there had been “good-faith negotiations,” but North Korea has reported something very different about the experience.
North Korea’s foreign ministry has put out a critical statement, calling the U.S. attitude to those talks “regrettable.” The Washington Post said of Pompeo:
His rosy outlook was almost immediately rejected by North Korea’s foreign ministry, which called the U.S. attitude to the talks ‘regrettable’ and accused the United States of making unilateral demands for denuclearization. Pompeo just hours earlier said the two sides engaged in ‘good-faith negotiations.'”
Oh boy. Leave it to the Trump administration to screw up something this important. Why would we expect anything less from Trump and his minions? You can watch a disturbing report on this below:
JUST IN: North Korea says talks with Sec. Pompeo were “regrettable,” and accuses the US of trying to unilaterally pressure the country into abandoning its nukes. https://t.co/jp5TNstFh6 pic.twitter.com/UjuQOsNevx
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) July 7, 2018
Featured image via screen capture