Donald Trump is not having a good day after a federal judge gave his administration until late Saturday to release a list of the roughly 100 migrant children under the age of five who were separated from their parents at the U.S. border. The Trump administration requested more time to reunify the children with their parents, but that’s not going to happen.
U.S. Judge Dana Sabraw also gave the administration until Tuesday to explain how it plans to reunite the 101 children under the age of 5 with their parents, according to the Associated Press. Sabraw ordered the Trump administration to share a list of the 101 children with the American Civil Liberties Union, which successfully sued in order to force the reunions, by Saturday afternoon.
“What I’m contemplating is the government provides a list to plaintiffs counsel by tomorrow 5 p.m. (PDT, midnight GMT) with the identities of the children,” said Sabraw, according to Reuters.
“The government must reunite them,” Judge Sabraw said. “It must comply with the time frame unless there is an articulable reason.”
The Trump administration argued in court documents that it was struggling to connect children with parents who were released from detention.
An ACLU attorney, Lee Gelernt, criticized the administration during the hearing for presenting parents with a form that suggests that the only way to get their child back is to give up their claim for asylum. Seeking asylum, by the way, is not illegal.
“We believe there is some coercion going on, whether intended or not,” Gelernt told the judge.
A backlash ensued over Trump’s zero-tolerance policy, sparking outrage even from some Republicans. In response, Trump stopped his separation of families’ policy last month by way of an executive order.
Instead, Trump’s government will now allow families to be detained together, but hundreds of children are still separated from their families and the administration lacks a plan to reunite them.
The HHS and the Department of Homeland Security determined that there are nearly 3,000 children, including the 101 under the age of 5, are in the care of Office of Refugee Resettlement-funded grantees.
The administration was left scrambling over the hot mess it created. Meanwhile, Trump is busy on Twitter whining about the ‘Failing New York Times.,’ Amazon, and the Washington Post.
Tick tock, Mr. Trump.
Image via Opposition Report’s gallery.